Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have a problem with drugs and/or alcohol?

Take an online assessment to gain insight into your level of drug and/or alcohol involvement.  If you answered yes to over five of the questions you might consider contacting either the Council on Chemical Abuse, Treatment Access and Services Center (TASC), a physician or the Drug and Alcohol Hotline at (484) 628-8186.

What do I need for an assessment?

To be assessed, the only required information is personal proof of Berks County residency. A photo ID, utility statement, bank statement, medical bill, etc., must be provided. Please note the following: assessments may take up to two and half hours; it is requested that children do not attend, and TASC (Berks County’s central intake unit) does have Spanish speaking staff. Also note, if you do not have insurance, it is highly recommended that you apply for medical assistance online.

What kind of treatment is needed?

You can be assessed directly at any local drug and alcohol counseling center that has a contract with the Council, the Berks County Single County Authority.

How will I pay for treatment services?

I do not have health insurance.
If you do not have health insurance and cannot pay for treatment, you may be eligible for public funding. To determine eligibility, please can go to TASC at 19 North Sixth Street, Suite 300 in Reading, or call a local contracted outpatient treatment provider to schedule an evaluation.

I have private insurance.
Please contact your insurance carrier to find out how to get into treatment. The customer service number is typically on the back of your insurance card. You can also ask your employer’s Human Resource department for the contact information.

I will pay privately.
Directly contact your preferred treatment provider by telephone to arrange an appointment for an evaluation.

Is it unusual for a person to enter treatment numerous times?

Many people suffering from addiction go through treatment several times before successfully engaging in recovery. A personal motivation to change can strengthen over the course of numerous treatment attempts. Insights gained in treatment can be cumulative and may assist in eventually realizing the full benefits of treatment.

What if my child needs help but refuses to enter treatment?

Act 53 provides parents and legal guardians a means by which to commit their drug/alcohol involved child to treatment services. In Berks County, the point of contact for initiating Act 53 proceedings is the Juvenile Probation Office. If necessary, the probation department will refer the child for a drug and alcohol assessment. If treatment is recommended as a result of this assessment, the child must comply with this treatment or involuntary commitment proceedings will be initiated. For more information, contact the Berks County Probation Department at (610) 478-3200.

Will treatment “fix” my loved one?

Addiction is a progressive disease that cannot be cured with a quick fix. Treatment can address the addictive behavior and assist in returning the individual with a substance use disorder to a healthy lifestyle. As addiction is also a family disease, it is important that all family members consider their need for support as well.

Should the family be involved in the treatment process?

Family support plays a large role in a successful treatment process. Many emotions experienced by the individual with a substance use disorder are rooted in the family system and need to be expressed as part of treating the disease. Family involvement can extend the benefits of treatment; however, it is important that family members also seek support for themselves.

What should family members expect of their loved on after leaving treatment?

Family members should be aware that while their loved one is the same person, the recovering individual may not have the same identity. The absence of their addicted self will likely impact the personality and mannerisms in the recovering person. The family should expect to adjust to these changes and participate in supporting a continuation of care.

Translate »