Underage Drinking Program
Drug and alcohol education is viewed by the Council and the Berks County Judicial Court System as an important element in the prevention and intervention of chemical use and abuse. Through the Underage Drinking Program, the Council educates youth about the negative consequences of drug and alcohol use. This program is designed to offer drug and alcohol education as a diversion for youth charged with underage drinking or related offenses. It is a voluntary program that allows the youth charged to access education relevant to their risk-taking behaviors. Upon successful completion of the program, the Magisterial District Judge may consider lessening the penalty for the summary offense.
The program consists of 12 hours of drug and alcohol education. An additional Parent Session is also required for the parent(s) and/or guardian(s) of any youth participants cited when under 18 years of age.
For more information or to register for the Underage Drinking Program, please contact the program coordinator by phone (610) 685-4490 or by email UDP@cocaberks.org. More information can also be viewed in the Underage Drinking Program Brochure.
Upcoming Program Dates
- Student Session (A): Feb. 2, 9, 16; 8 a.m.-noon, 601 Penn St., Reading
- Student Session (B): Feb. 2, 9, 16; 9 a.m.-1 p.m., KU Lytle Hall, Room 108, Kutztown
- Parent Session: Feb 7; 6-8 p.m., 601 Penn St., Reading
- Student Session (A): March 2, 9, 16; 8 a.m.-noon, 601 Penn St., Reading
- Student Session (B): March 2, 9, 23; 8 a.m.-1 p.m., KU Lytle Hall, Room 108, Kutztown
- Parent Session: March 7; 6-8 p.m., 601 Penn St., Reading
Inclement Weather Policy – In the event of inclement weather on the day of a scheduled UDP class, please visit the Council website home page. Any information about class cancellations will be posted as soon as a determination is made.