On July 22, Reading Area Community College hosted a public hearing to help fight the heroin overdose problem. The hearing, the second of four slated, was coordinated by the Center for Rural Pennsylvania. The remaining two hearings will be held in Loretto, Cambria County, and in Clarion in Clarion County.
Those providing testimony included:
- Gary Tennis, Secretary, PA Department of Drug & Alcohol Programs
- Deborah Beck – President, Drug & Alcohol Service Providers
- Phil Bauer – Advocate for Prescription Drug Safety (Parent)
- Linda Texter – Director, Reading Hospital Drug & Alcohol Center
- George J. Vogel – Executive Director, Council on Chemical Abuse (testimony)
- Christine Gilfillan – Associate Director, Berks Women in Crisis
- Sandy Green – Mayor, Kutztown Borough
- Andrew M. Potteiger – Superintendent, Brandywine Heights Area School District
- Alison Snyder – Personnel Director, East Penn Manufacturing Co. Inc.
- Dr. Gregory K. Sorensen – Chief Medical Officer, Reading Health System
- John T. Adams – District Attorney, Berks County
- Michael J. Gombar – Chief County Detective, Berks County
- Christine A. Holman – District Attorney, Schuylkill County
- Scott D. Keller – Judge, Court of Common Pleas, Berks County
- Dean Patton – Magisterial District Judge, Berks County
CLICK HERE for further information on the hearings.
Coverage of the hearing:
RACC hosts hearing on ‘heroin crisis’ in rural Pennsylvania, WFMZ
Immensity of heroin, prescription drug crisis in Berks on display at public hearing at RACC, Reading Eagle
Sen. Schwenk works on ‘heroin crisis’ During RACC Public Hearing, BCTV