Young Lungs At Play
The Young Lungs at Play (YLAP) initiative is supported by the Pennsylvania Department of Health through a Centers for Disease Control Grant in partnership with Penn State Extension. Throughout Berks County, the Council administers this program.
YLAP invites municipalities, school districts, youth sports organizations and other groups to join eliminate children’s exposure to secondhand smoke. Adopting 100 % tobacco free laws, ordinances, policies or resolutions in public areas where children play helps to accomplish this. This initiative will protect the environment and protect the health of all.
Three easy steps to join:
1. Develop, approve and implement a local tobacco-free parks and playgrounds ordinance, policy or resolution that identifies the specific areas within the park or playground being covered
2. Provide the Council with a copy of the ordinance, policy or resolution
3. Install Young Lungs at Play signs in designated areas
Participants will receive:
1. Resources and technical assistance, before, during and after implementation
2. FREE, standard pre-printed 12″x 18″ metal signs to place in your tobacco-free area(s)
For more information, please contact Teresa Tieman Detweiler by email at TDetweiler@cocaberks.org or by phone (610) 376-8669, Ext. 136.